Haitian color, culture on show during Haitian Day Parade and Festival

Costumed dancers whirl down Brooklyn's Nostrand Ave. during Haitian Day Parade and Festival.
Costumed dancers whirl down Brooklyn's Nostrand Ave. during Haitian Day Parade and Festival.


Haitian New Yorkers took over Brooklyn's Nostrand Ave. Sunday for the Haitian Day Parade and Festival.

"I love being here because it shows me that Haiti does exist in New York," said Rodney Chauvet, 34, of East Flatbush, who came with his 9- and 3-year-old daughters. "I try to bring my daughters to all Haitian parades and celebrations. I want to remind them that they aren't only American, they are Haitian."

While most had their minds on song and celebration, attendees were also holding out hope that the recent presidential election win of singer Sweet Micky would bring change to their earthquake-ravaged homeland.

"I hope he brings the modern life ... to Haiti," Chauvet said.

Vanessa Delmas, 20, of East New York, wore a skirt and top fashioned from the Haitian flag as she marched along Nostrand from Martense St. to Foster Ave.

"I don't miss one parade," Delmas said. "I really like the dancing and just enjoying Haitian culture."

Comments

Popular Posts